Volunteering in the Caribbean is one of the ways that locals and visitors can support a specific cause. From time to time, organisations offer opportunities for volunteers to give of their time and labour and share knowledge. Volunteers support the mission of entities which are often centered around positive change.
There are different types of volunteering opportunities. Examples include wildlife conservation which is popular in zoos and wildlife habitats; marine conservation at aquariums and marine parks; community development at schools, community centres and non-profit organisations; environmental protection at eco-focused entities; and teaching at children-focused entities. Although you can volunteer with children’s homes and orphanages, you should always volunteer through a reputable international organisation.
Volunteering opportunites are becoming more popular in the Caribbean because of increased efforts to improve the quality of life of Caribbean people; preserve and protect the environment in the face of climate change and other environmental challenges; and protect animals, mammals, reptiles, birds and creatures that are facing extinction, have low populations or those that have been rescued.
Volunteering in the Caribbean
For some of the latest volunteering news and opportunities in the Caribbean, check out the links below:
- Aruba: Volunteering in Aruba
- Jamaica Volunteer Programmes: Volunteer Abroad
- International Volunteer HQ: Volunteer in the Caribbean
- Volunteer World: Volunteer in the Caribbean
- Travel Weekly: To Restart Tourism, Grenada Eyes Food and Voluntourism
- The Barbados Sea Turtle Project: Volunteer With the Barbados Sea Turtle Project
- Travel Pulse: Royal Caribbean Selecting Volunteer Cruise Passengers From Over 350k Entries
- Travel & Leisure: How to Volunteer While Traveling With Your Kids
- Global Vision International: Volunteer in Belize
- Go Overseas: How to Sail and Volunteer Around the World for Free
- Peace Villages: Enhance the Lives of Disadvantaged Community Members
- UNICEF: Volunteering with UNICEF
To learn more about volunteering in the Caribbean and how you can support a worthy cause, please follow Endless Caribbean on Instagram.
Image Credit: Aruba Tourism Authority